Len Olea’s Blog

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Archive for May, 2009

Victims of Harassment Suits Express Their Anger, Vow to Pursue the Fight

Posted by lenolea on May 30, 2009

MANILA –“Where is our country headed? Why is it that what is right is being viewed as wrong? What is wrong is made to appear right?”

Rez Cortez, the actor who usually plays the role of villains in local movies, tearfully uttered those words at a forum organized by Pagbabago! People’s Movement for Change on May 21 at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City.

“I have been a villain in films, and this administration is trying to make me appear as a villain in the eyes of my country.”

Cortez is facing charges of serious illegal detention. The charges stemmed from the exposé of the so-called Hello Garci tapes, or the wiretapped conversations between a woman who is believed to be President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and a former elections commissioner, widely believed to be Virgilio Garcillano. Cortez and Sammy Ong, a former agent of the National Bureau of Investigation who recently died of lung cancer, were accused of detaining Sgt. Vidal Doble, an intelligence agent believed to be the source of the tapes, at the San Carlos Seminary in Makati City in 2005.

Victims of Harassment Suits Express Their Anger, Vow to Pursue the Fight

Posted in News and Features | Tagged: , , , , | Leave a Comment »

Military Admits Existence of Order of Battle

Posted by lenolea on May 30, 2009

MANILA — The 10th Infantry Division of the Philippine Army practically admitted the existence of a so-called “order of battle” (OB) in its recent statement to the media.

Lt. Col. Kurt Decapia, the division’s spokesman, blamed Bayan Muna Rep. Satur Ocampo for allegedly “twisting” the data in the PowerPoint presentation titled “JCICC AGILA 3rd Quarter 2007 OB Validation Result.”

Ocampo, along with other human-rights groups, exposed the said OB to members of the media in Davao City two weeks ago. The legislator participated in the three-day International Solidarity Mission (ISM) held at New Bataan, Compostela and Monkayo towns in Compostela Valley province; Paquibato district in Davao City; Sta. Cruz town in Davao del Sur; and Tampakan, South Cotabato.

“Here are gung-ho AFP division officers publicly affirming what UN [United Nations] Special Rapporteur Philip Alston has specified in his reports, that military officers openly vilify legal personalities and organizations as enemies of the state, making them fair game in the counterinsurgency operations that they conduct with impunity based on inaccurately packaged as intelligence,” Ocampo said in a statement reacting to Decapia’s accusations.

Military Admits Existence of Order of Battle

Posted in News and Features | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

‘Order of Battle’ Suggests Murder of Journalists Part of Official Policy — NUJP

Posted by lenolea on May 23, 2009

The National Union of Journalists in the Philippines, the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility, and the Reporters Without Borders condemned what they called as an “abomination,” the military’s Order of Battle, the latest version of which included the NUJP and journalist Carlos Conde, a correspondent for the New York Times, International Herald Tribune, and GlobalPost.com.

By RONALYN V. OLEA
Bulatlat

MANILA — The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) is now rethinking its official position that the murder of journalists in this country is not part of official government policy.

“The NUJP reiterates that we have, so far, seen no indication that the murder of journalists in this country is part of official policy,” Jaime “Nonoy” Espina, the NUJP vice-chairman, said in a statement this week. But the discovery that the NUJP and its former secretary-general, Carlos Conde, “are considered ‘enemies of the state’ has made us think that we may have to reconsider our position.”

Espina was referring to the inclusion of Conde and the NUJP in the order of battle (OB) of the 10th Infantry Division (ID) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Conde’s name was listed in a document titled “JCICC ‘AGILA’ 3rd QTR 2007 OB VALIDATION RESULT” purportedly prepared by the intelligence staff of the armed forces’ 10th ID based in Southern Mindanao.

In this “order of battle,” more than a hundred individuals – mostly leaders and members of progressive and leftist groups like Bayan, Bayan Muna, among others – are listed and classified as “organized,”
“dominated,” or “targeted.” Conde was the only individual journalist on the list, which classifies him as “targeted.”

‘Order of Battle’ Suggests Murder of Journalists Part of Official Policy — NUJP

Posted in News and Features | Tagged: , , , , | Leave a Comment »